Thursday 6 March 2014

Pregnant in Japan Part II

On March 23, 2013 almost 7 months to the day that I had miscarried, I found out I was pregnant. We were both so excited. It was also a week before we were about to move from Mizuho, Gifu-Ken to Ichinomiay, Aichi-Ken. They are only 30 minutes apart. Even though I was happy, I was a bit nervous about having a miscarriage again. I think this is a pretty natural feeling for most women.

As you could imagine there was so much to get done before moving. Not to mention we had so many students who wanted to go out before we left. I appreciated going out with people, however, it wasn't like we were leaving the country. Well, just about two days before moving day I suddenly became really sick. It was bad. You can only imagine how scared I was. Will was also sick, but I think he's got a real talent. He knows how to just keep on going. So, he ended up doing the rest of the work for moving.

I went to the doctor and told him I was also pregnant. He didn't want to give me any medication until he talked to my OBGYN. Luckily, I could say I had one thanks to my past experiences. He then talked to her and decided to give me some mild antibiotic for the tonsillitis that I had..

Gifu Municipal Hospital
This where I went for my miscarriage and on March 29, 2013 when I became pregnant the second time.


On moving the day my friend decided to take me to the hospital to see the OBGYN since I was sick and it was so early on.  Despite feeling like crap I was so relieved when I saw the very first ultrasound. The baby was literally a tiny little circle.It was a relief to see something! The doctor said it was still really early, maybe 4 or 5 weeks.

I was really lucky the same doctor was there because it was her last week at the hospital. April is considered the new year for schools and business. So, often after a doctor has been at a hospital for a few years the city will send them to a different hospital. The same goes for teachers. They don't get to choose when and where. As far as I know, this is standard for Aichi and Gifu prefectures.  I can not speak for the entire country.

Normally after seeing the doctor they will give a certificate to take to the city hall to register your pregnancy. Since the doctor knew I was moving that day she did not give me this certificate. She told me to go to hospital in Ichinomiaya. She just saw me to give me a peace of mind since I was sick.

While all this was happening Will along with some friends were making multiple trips to move our things. I can not believe we had so much stuff! It adds up fast. Once we were moved in and since I was not going to start work for a few weeks I said I would unpack things. Will basically started working a day after we got there. Well, my plans were changed. Turns out the antibiotic was too weak and my tonsillitis turned to an ear infection and sinus infection. Finally after a week it all started to clear up. But what do you know morning sickness started and it was bad. Not going into to too many details...but let's just say most things I ate didn't stay where they should.

After attempting to settling into our new life I started looking for hospitals and ladies clinics. I couldn't decided which one to go to. Ladies clinics have a reputation of having a beautiful birthing experience and stay. I've heard of some that will arrange for a fancy dinner with your husband during your stay. Or private bathrooms with some luxury showers and tubs. On the other hand the idea of knowing that you are in the hospital in case of emergency is comforting. Ladies clinics are close to hospitals so if there were a problem they could have you to the hospital in a few minutes. Plus this day in age you can usually see if there will be a problem well before delivery.

This is what you might find at many Ladies Clinics. You can see how it looks like a luxury spa or hotel. It's no wonder so many women choose them over the public hospitals. I don't know where this particular clinic is located. I just found something that you can what I am talking about.


In the end the most important thing for me was having an English speaking doctor. Also top on the list was to have a female doctor. But  English was most important. I feel bad for wanting that because I should speak Japanese. However, this is a situation that I wanted to have clear answers and communication. It's one thing to practice Japanese at restaurant and make a mistake and you get the wrong thing. However, first baby and all well, English was a must. So, I called three or four Ladies Clinics and with my terrible Japanese asked if the doctor could speak English. The first two were a no. The third was funny because someone came on the phone who spoke English really well. I was getting excited, but she just told me the doctor doesn't speak English and that it might be difficult. Then my friend called the city hospital for me. I felt that would be too difficult for me since there are many departments. Turns out Ichinomiya City Hospital had a free translation service. So, I decided to go there. That way I could get a female doctor and English. The best of both worlds.

Ichinomiya Municipal Hospital
This is where I went.