Wednesday 14 September 2011

Part II- Traffic and Transportation

Traffic in the Philippines was crazy. I am never really sure how they get away with driving the way they do. It was exciting and scary! If there is a normal two lane road it becomes like a four lane road. This picture does no justice to the traffic, but you can at least see that no one looks like they are in an organized lane.


There are many ways to get around the Philippines. You can take a taxi, a jeepney or a tricycle. Taxis are pretty cheap, however you've got to make sure you take metered taxis. A lot of times they try to say a flat rate, but you will end up getting ripped off in the end. I hear that is true of a lot of places in the world, but we didn't really know any better. Well, we sure know now!
Taxis and Jeepney

Jeepney- a cheap way to travel. I never took one. We didn't know how.
Tricycles. We did take one the first day we got to Cebu. I am not going to lie I was worried if it could hold our weight. However, the more you travel around the more tricycles you see packed with 4 or 5 Filipinos. I must note that the one we took was hooked up to a small motorcycle and not an actual bicycle. I could never ask/pay some one to pull me around with their own strength, unless it's Will.

I saw some tricycles that didn't carry people, but food. Here's a mobile cake cart.
They look yummy, but what happens if you hit a bump in the road?


I like that there is expensive new pick-up truck next to this yellow tricycle. It's a clash of two worlds!
Coke Truck -oh yeah!
I almost forgot about the old fashion horse and buggy! 

1 comment:

Mike Taylor said...

I love the fact you got the Samurai in the pickup/ yellow trike photo!