Saturday 11 September 2010

Japanese noodles

So on Friday I went out with my senior class. Will also came along. I don't have too many pictures of this lovely day, but I'll do my best to tell you about it. First, I'll tell you about this class. It's a group of four women. They are somewhere in their 50-60s. They are fantastic! Their English is very limited, but they sure do have a wonderful time using what they do know. Last week in class we were talking about our favorite food. They told me about Japanese noodles. They were shocked when they learned I hadn't had them yet. So, they decided they wanted to take Will and I out the following week for lunch. So, we met them on Friday September 10 at 12:00 pm. We rode with two of the students to meet the other two ladies at "Mifuku" a traditional Japanese noodle restaurant.

To the right is a bowl of Japanese noodles. In the back corner is a plate of tempura, which is basically fried deliciousness. The tempura was 1 eggplant, 1 butternut squash, 1 large shrimp and some cute green leaf. You take this ground up daikon, which is Asian radish and put it in the middle bowl. I am not sure what that sauce was, but you dip your tempura in it. Behind the noodles, there is a block of tofu with green onions and soy sauce, it was surprisingly delicious. Then there was plain rice in which you put the Japanese pickles into. The little plate next to the sauce was the pickles.
Here's a different angle of the food.
Now for some bad photography.....oh well :( I pretty much just grabbed the camera out of my purse and snapped the picture with out looking.
Hiromi, Hitoko, and Noriko not pictured is Shegeiko.

It was time to go. Hitomi didn't eat all her tempura, Will was secretly wishing he could have eaten it. 
This is where we sat to eat. On the floor, it was quite lovely. 
Since Will's 3:00 class was canceled, they decided to take us out for coffee. We then went to Framboise, the same place we got our cake for our 1 year anniversary. There are two parts to this shop. One is the bakery (where we went went) the second is a cafe in a separate building where the serve drinks and food. We had coffee and cake. I had strawberry cake and Will had peach cake. It was really amazing. We really enjoyed it. Sorry, no pictures :(

After this they took us back to school and I had class with them. Will sat in with me, because they just wanted to chat. We learned one interesting thing about Japan, apparently they are in to knowing your blood type. This has to do with some sort of horoscope thing. Will is O- and I don't know what I am. They were so shocked I didn't know. I guess I should find out. But, apparently blood type matters for your personality and what blood type your mate should be. So, just the same idea as the zodiac thing, but with blood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_types_in_Japanese_culture

Well they left at 10 to 3, because Will was yawning and we were all stuffed with food. We ran home to get a few things ready for the rest of the day.

No comments: