Thursday 30 September 2010

"Set Breakfast"

We are happy to know that if you go to a coffee shop before 11am they will give you a free breakfast if you order a coffee.I am not sure what the Japanese word is for it, but we have heard it called 'set breakfast', because the menu is set. It's quite exciting and you really never know what each coffee shop is going to offer. We have heard that this set breakfast only happens in central Japan, and we have heard it happens all over Japan. Not sure which one is true, but as long as you are in this area it is!


Coffee is a bit expensive to compensate for the allegedly free breakfast, about 330 yen (give or take 10 yen) a cup of regular coffee. 330 yen is around $3.50. Now, that's an expensive cup of joe! However, if getting a free breakfast makes it OK to pay the ridiculous price for mediocre coffee. Coffee in Japan so far is not good. But that's ok, they have great green tea and other beverages.

SO, as you might have guessed it, we've been experimenting with different coffee shops. Here's a glimpse into a few places we have gone.

This V.I.P Coffee lounge. It's next to Piago (the grocery store) and very close to work and home. We got a piece of toast with red bean paste, and butter. We also got a salad and a boiled egg. It's quite delicious and so far it has become one of our favorite places to go. Our coffee cost 760 yen for the both of us. It's not bad for all you get. Plus the server is awesome and is always ready to refill our water!






Another place we have been to once was just off the road on our way to church. I am not sure where it is now.Will says it is on route 23.
Karaku Coffee. It was nice we got a pretty good breakfast. The coffee was the best we have had in Japan.
We got two pieces of toast, one had some sort of black seed in it, sesame maybe. We also got flan and egg-salad. I believe this cost was around 800 yen ($8.00) for the two of us, not too bad.......


Komeda Coffe Shop is also very close to school and Piago. It's not bad if you want a little more privacy, and if you like really big restaurants.



I think one visit was enough for us. We got a large piece of toast with jam and an egg. The price was 680 yen ($6.80) for the two of us.
It did have a really cute cup and little creamer....I guess that's a plus?

Will discovered Sent George on a walk one day and insisted that we go try it. It was quite cute and odd all at the same time. We enjoyed the atmosphere, however it was a bit too smoky for my taste.



It was neat because there were a couple of choices on which set breakfast you got. I thought I heard cheese and something about chocolate, so I said yes to that! Will heard butter and went for that.


We got some little pasta salad and an egg. I got a piece of toast with chocolate spread (yum!! what a good choice, it might have been Nutella). Will just got a piece of toast with butter. Also the thing in the bow was some sort of weird slimy gooey souffle. I didn't really eat to much of that but everything else was very delicious. I can't remember the price, I think it was just a bit more than V.I.P Coffee Lounge.
Our weak attempts at learning to write and read Japanese. We practiced this at Sent George.


Will's short lived obsession with Yo-yoing. He bought this yo-yo at Seria the 100 yen shop. For a while he couldn't walk with out it. This is him on the way to the V.I.P Coffee Lounge.

edit: he has informed me that this is not a short lived obsession, he has plans to get back into it once he purchases a new yo-yo. The 100 yen shop yo-yos are not built to last, as he has gone through three yo-yos in a month, and he wants to invest in a better yo-yo.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful! I can't wait until I can come over and maybe we can all go coffee-shop hunting together. :)

Linda Dini Jenkins said...

This is great, you guys! Thanks for giving us this neat view of your experience!

Nicole said...

come visit, steve

come visit, Linda

Robbie said...

I had to pay $4 for a grande coffee at Starbucks in Las Vegas and it didn't come with so much as eye contact from the girl behind the counter. So $3.50 for bad coffee with a breakfast sounds pretty nice to me.

Will needs a Duncan Yo-Yo. If I remember correctly from childhood, that is the only brand to have.